Sunday 31 July 2011

Kathy Shaw-Urlich Stained Glass

While I'm on the subject of architectural glass (a relatively new area of interest for me, though I've loved mediaeval church windows since first seeing Sainte Chapelle in Paris), I should mention a recent acquisition, a small panel by Kiwi/British artist Kathy Shaw-Urlich, who now resides in the small rural Far North settlement of Whatuwhiwhi.  Kathy exhibited this at a small gallery in Awanui in April 2011, and I was delighted to acquire it.


The work is titled Maunga Tapu, or holy mountain. Although she was born and brought up in the UK, Kathy's Maori heritage has always been important  to her. She has whanau links to Whakapara, north of Whangarei, where another of her windows may be seen.  In 1998 her whanau asked her to make a window for behind the altar at St Isaac's Anglican church.


I am delighted that there is a connection between these two windows, since Kathy has told me that the glass she used for the maunga in Maunga Tapu was a piece left over from the maunga that appears under the bird's wing at Whakapara.

No comments:

Post a Comment